Once again, thanks to Nathaniel Donahue for writing these questions. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and he’ll write questions for your tournament for a “modest fee.”
1 Did the US “pivot” correctly to Asia?
2 Do the benefits of US drone strikes outweigh the harms?
3 Should the US increase its military presence in South Korea?
4 Has the Cuban Embargo failed?
5 How should new nuclear weapons change US policy towards North Korea?
6 Is Obama smart to invest more money in nuclear weapons?
7 Should the US lift sanctions on Russians accused of rights violations?
8 Does the US invest too much money in military technology?
9 Should the US fight or accommodate China’s rise?
Global Economics & Trade
1 Should central banks prioritize debt stabilization?
2 Is international currency manipulation a bane to economic stability?
3 Does protectionism pose a threat to growth?
4 How should Spain and Slovenia address their economic imbalances?
5 Has the growth of the BRIC states been overstated?
6 Is the EU experiment a failure?
7 How can US businesses better protect their patents in international trade?
8 Are Bitcoins a viable alternative currency?
9 Should the US and Eurozone pursue a free trade treaty?
1 Is Taiwan losing its international clout?
2 Should China pressure North Korea into giving up its nuclear ambitions?
3 Should Sonia Gandhi resign the leadership of the Congress Party?
4 Is Japan on the verge of another lost decade?
5 Are Chinese military advancements cause for regional concern?
6 Will China abandon North Korea?
7 Can China control another Bird Flu outbreak?
8 What is impeding meaningful whaling legislation in Australia?
9 Should Park Geun Hye take a more agressive approach to North Korea?
1 Is Somalia ready to rejoin the global community?
2 Do upcoming elections indicate a transition to democracy in Zimbabwe?
3 Is Egypt a failed state?
4 Can Michel Djotodia bring stability to the Central African Republic?
5 Is Sudan serious about normalizing relations with South Sudan?
6 Should the international community recognize Somaliland as an independent state?
7 What is the primary cause behind Al Qaeda’s resurgance in Africa?
8 How can the US curb China’s influence in Africa?
9 Is Mugabe really allowing legitimate elections?
1 What can David Cameron do to restore confidence in the Conservative Party?
2 Does Russia pose a threat to The West?
3 Should Merkel reconsider coalition partners going into Federal elections in Germany?
4 Is Scotland better off independent from Great Britain?
5 How can the Royal Family restore faith in the Spanish Monarchy?
6 Should France withdraw from Mali?
7 How can the EU restore faith in the Eurozone?
8 Is increased political union necessary to fix Europe’s economy?
9 Should the US end block lists on Russia?
1 Can Venezuela stand without Hugo Chavez?
2 Will Pope Francis restore the Church’s image in Latin America?
3 Should the US repeal the Cuban Embargo?
4 What is behind Mexico’s decreasing drug violence?
5 Should Canada abandon Keystone XL?
6 How can Canada restart its free trade talks with the EU?
7 Are direct and fair trade programs improving Latin American economies?
8 Has the G8 lost its clout?
9 How can Dilma Rousseff secure re-election?
1 Should the UN deploy peacekeepers to Syria?
2 Is Pakistan a failed state?
3 Has France destabilized Mali?
4 Which global region poses the greatest threat to US security?
5 Will Israeli foreign policy significantly change under the new government?
6 Would a sovereign Kurdistan bring stability to the MIddle East?
7 Should the US focus more on cyber security?
8 Should Zimbabwe give amnesty to Boko Haram?
9 Should Israel act unilaterally against Syria?
US Foreign Policy
1. How should new nuclear weapons change US policy towards North Korea?
2. Is Obama smart to invest more money in nuclear weapons?
3. Should the US lift sanctions on Russians accused of rights violations?
4. Does the US invest too much money in military technology?
5. Should the US fight or accommodate China’s rise?
10 Did the US “pivot” correctly to Asia?
11 Do the benefits of US drone strikes outweigh the harms?
12 Should the US increase its military presence in South Korea?
13 Has the Cuban Embargo failed?
1. Does the US need austerity to return the economy to health?
2. Are massive cuts in benefits needed to sustain Social Security?
3. Will unprecedented expansions in the authority of the Federal Reserve harm the economy in the long run?
4. What can we do to bring life to failing cities like Detroit?
5. Are recent increases in housing prices a cause for concern?
6. Will digital currencies like Bitcoins help the average American?
7. What can the US do to spur consumer spending?
8. Are unions still relevant for the 21st century worker?
9. Should Dodd-Frank allow some banks to be “too big to fail”?
1. Is the Republican leadership correct to continue to oppose gay marriage?
2. Will a substantive gun control bill pass Congress?
3. Can Congressional deficit hawks pass a truly bipartisan budget?
4. Do lobbyists give the rich unfair influence in Congress?
5. Do Congressmen spend too much time raising money?
6. Are progressive Democrats losing control of the party?
7. Are incumbents too entrenched?
8. Was the “No Budget, No Pay” bill a good way of addressing gridlock?
9. Should Republicans replace John Boehner as Speaker of the House?
The White House
1. Has Obama done enough to reach out to Republicans?
2. Will Obama’s stance on entitlement reform demolish his standing with liberal Democrats?
3. Who should be the next head of the Federal reserve?
4. Will Obama be able to pass his budget?
5. Will Michelle Obama’s involvement in the gun control debate significantly advance the cause?
6. How important are approval ratings to presidential influence?
7. Does the White House still speak for the Democratic party?
8. Was Kerry the right pick for Secretary of State?
9. Has Obama been able to pass legislation more effectively in his second term?
1. Should the government have the authority to kill US citizens suspected of terrorism?
2. Should genes be patentable?
3. Is affirmative action unconstitutional?
4. Is DOMA constitutional?
5. How should Obama respond to Republican obstructionism of Appellate Court nominees?
6. Is the Court out of touch with the American people?
7. Should there be term limits on Supreme Court appointments?
8. How has Obama changed the tone of the Supreme Court?
9. Do judges do too much legislating from the bench?
1. Has the federal government done enough to help states manage the economic crisis?
2. Should states cut taxes to boost economic growth?
3. Do radical state legislatures like those in North Carolina indicate that states need more federal oversight?
4. Is the Voting Rights Act important in 2013?
5. Should gay marriage be a state issue?
6. Is Texas becoming a purple state?
7. Does America still need “states’ rights”?
8. Should Puerto Rico be a state?
9. Why are state legislatures more efficient at passing policy than Congress?
1. Are Republicans putting themselves in a strong position for 2014?
2. Are the Democrats doing enough to support young talent?
3. Can we expect an economic rally this year?
4. Will evangelical Christians be able to adapt to changing political circumstances?
5. Are we witnessing a cultural change with a new generation of young voters?
6. Does America need immigration reform to maintain economic competitiveness?
7. Is there a place in the economy of the future for low-skilled workers?
8. Will Obama be able to deliver on promises to wean the US off foreign oil in the near future?
9. Does America need more time between elections?