These were written a week ago for a tournament this past weekend, so sorry if any on Russia/Ukraine are already outdated!
Russia and Ukraine
1. Will the Ukranian conflict grow into a larger European war?
2. If Putin wants Crimea, should the international community let him have it?
3. What is Vladimir Putin’s intention in Ukraine?
4. Should NATO get involved in Ukraine?
5. Should the U.S. and E.U. place targeted sanctions on Russia?
6. Should Crimea become a separate country?
7. Will the Sochi Olympics have any lasting effects on Russia’s international prestige?
8. Will the U.S. and E.U. aid package for Ukraine improve the situation?
9. Should the U.S. open oil and gas exports to Ukraine?
10. Is U.S. condemnation of Russia’s actions in Ukraine hypocritical?
11. Should Russia be kicked out of the G-8?
12. Has Russia successfully avoided demographic crisis?
13. Is Moscow trying to recreate the Soviet bloc?
14. If the Crimean people vote to join Russia, should the U.S. and Europe accept this result?
15. Has the U.S. overplayed its hand on Russia and Ukraine?
16. Does the U.S. have a legitimate national interest in opposing Russia’s actions in Crimea?
Asia and the Americas
1. How much leverage does the U.S. have to end Venezuelan violence?
2. Is John Kerry an effective Secretary of State?
3. Is President Obama diminishing America’s influence abroad?
4. How does the oil and gas boom impact the U.S.’ international strategic position?
5. Will the Maduro government manage to hold power in Venezuela?
6. Will Canada regret its decision to eliminate its immigrant investor program?
7. Are North Korea’s recent weapons tests game-changing?
8. Does rising ethnic violence threaten China’s stability?
9. Would Narendra Modi be the right president for India?
10. Will China’s economic ascendance make the world more or less secure?
11. Can chemical and biological weapons be eliminated?
Middle East and Africa
1. Will Egypt’s upcoming elections be genuinely democratic?
2. Is the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organization?
3. Will Egypt’s ban on Hamas activity improve its national security?
4. Have Syria’s rebels lost the war?
5. Was the chemical weapons agreement with Syria a failure?
6. Can the Taliban be converted from an insurgency to a political organization?
7. Is the U.S. too aggressive in labeling foreign organizations as terrorist?
8. Should the U.S. pause security negotiations with Afghanistan until it elects a new president?
9. Will Nigeria become the world’s next hotbed of terrorism?
10. Is Nigeria’s government taking the right approach toward Boko Haram?
11. How significantly does Nigerian instability threaten U.S. national security?
12. Should France maintain its troop presence in the Central African Republic?
1. Does the recent Netflix-Comcast deal signal the end of internet freedom?
2. Should the National Football League penalize the on-field use of racial slurs?
3. Should the NCAA allow cost of living stipends for athletes in revenue sports?
4. How did the Apple-Samsung patent wars impact the market?
5. How quickly should the Federal Reserve phase out asset purchases?
6. How should the U.S. regulate patent trolls?
7. How should the U.S. reform the patent system to promote innovation?
8. Will high youth unemployment have a lasting impact on the economy?
9. Do the benefits of pollution regulation outweigh the cost to businesses?
10. Should pharmaceutical advertising be banned?
11. Should health providers receive bonuses based on performance measures?
12. Do government job training programs work?
13. Have companies become too unwilling to provide on-the-job training?
1. Was the health reform push a misuse of President Obama’s political capital?
2. Should candidates be allowed to simultaneously run for Congress and the Presidency?
3. Will recent Voter ID laws boost Republican electoral fortunes?
4. Are U.S. elections being conducted fairly?
5. Will Arizona’s vetoed gay discrimination law significantly harm the GOP?
6. Are the Democrats too inflexible on immigration reform?
7. Are immigrant advocacy groups getting too aggressive?
8. Does the Congressional Budget Office improve or constrain U.S. public policy decisions?
9. Would Dave Camp’s tax freeform proposal be the right approach?
10. Will House Democrats’ discharge petition efforts succeed?
11. Has President Obama appointed too many donors to ambassador positions?
12. Should the U.S. enact Congressional term limits?
13. Should Congress repeal its ban on earmarks?
1. Do children have too much access to violent content?
2. Can we stop the rising tide of antibiotic resistance?
3. Will “minute clinics” improve American health care?
4. Is synthetic biology adequately regulated?
5. Will public reporting of health care prices improve quality of care?
6. Should artificial colors be banned from the U.S. food supply?
7. Would universal early childhood education work?
8. Have the Race to the Top competitions been a success?
9. Was the U.S. right to ease restrictions on asylum seekers with limited terrorist ties?
10. Is asylum fraud a serious problem in the U.S.?
11. Should states increase oversight over home schooling?
12. Should civilian courts have jurisdiction over military sexual assault cases?
13. Are mandatory minimum sentences too harsh?
14. Are humanities degrees worth the cost?
15. Are federal programs to limit domestic violence working?
16. Why has the abortion rate decreased in recent years?