Thanks to Nathaniel Donahue for sending these questions from the Harvard tournament.
1. Will Jeb Bush be the “establishment candidate” in the 2016 Republican Primary?
2. Will Obama be an asset for Democrats in 2016?
3. Is Obama abusing executive authority?
4. How should the Democratic Party respond to losing control of the Senate?
5. Should the US allow any exemptions for vaccination requirements?
6. Has the influence of the internet improved journalism in America?
7. Would a competitive primary be good for the Democrats?
8. Can a Republican Congress undo Obama’s policy victories?
9. Should Bernie Sanders run for president?
10. Is skipping Netanyahu’s speech a good political move for Democrats?
1. Can the CIA be effectively regulated without compromising national security?
2. Has torture made America safer?
3. Will the #blacklivesmatter movement substantively reduce police brutality?
4. Should America weaponize space?
5. What role should large combat ships play in the future of the American military?
6. How can the US best protect its cyberinfrastructure?
7. Is a completely secure border with Mexico a feasible policy objective?
8. Are we doing enough to combat domestic terrorism?
9. Is America’s police force over-armed?
10. Does America need stronger tools to contain foreign pandemics?
1. Should states be allowed to issue visas without federal approval?
2. Will Obama’s work permits help or hinder American economic growth?
3. Does inequality reduction necessarily impede economic growth?
4. Do rising wages indicate a nascent economic recovery?
5. Is Dodd-Frank too weak?
6. Should Congress audit the Fed?
7. Is high frequency trading economically beneficial?
8. Has greater financialization stabilized economic growth?
9. Who has the most to gain from a stronger dollar?
10. Would stronger unions help the economy?
American Foreign Policy
1. Should the US provide military support to Ukraine?
2. How should the US respond to Chinese expansionism in the South China Sea?
3. Are the current sanctions on Russia counterproductive?
4. Does America need to exercise “strategic patience”?
5. Is torture an important tool for protecting domestic security?
6. How much does America have to fear from ISIS?
7. Does the world need American leadership?
8. Can America limit the proliferation of armed drones?
9. Would America benefit from a stronger UN?
10. Should Netanyahu cancel his address to Congress?
The Developing World
1. Should the international community intervene in Northern Nigeria?
2. Should developing countries subsidise home ownership?
3. How should Argentina address its current debt crisis?
4. Should South Africa aggressively redistribute its land?
5. Should Afghanistan abandon opium poppy eradication efforts?
6. Do candidates from political dynasties pose an existential threat to nascent democracies?
7. Should the African Union (and its member states) leave the International Criminal Court?
8. Do China’s limits on internal migration facilitate economic growth?
9. How can Pope Francis best facilitate economic growth in the developing world?
10. Is protectionism the key to economic development for small countries?
1. Do low oil prices benefit Saudi Arabia?
2. Can Vladimir Putin’s regime withstand sustained low oil prices?
3. Will low oil prices be the death knell of green energy investment in the US?
4. Do recent oil price swings suggest that America needs larger or smaller futures markets?
5. Will cheap oil cause China to defect on its climate change agreement with the US?
6. Has inexpensive oil made the world more or less safe?
7. Would the world be better without OPEC?
8. Can the Venezuelan government survive a world of cheap oil?
9. Should major oil producers be allowed to buy green energy patents?
10. Should America attempt to guide global petroleum prices?
1. How should the rest of the EU respond to Syriza’s victory in Greece?
2. What should the EU do about member states that ignore ECJ rulings?
3. Is the current emphasis on multiculturalism in Europe helpful to immigrant communities?
4. Can NATO still guarantee stability in Europe?
5. How will the Charlie Hebdo attacks affect Europe’s tolerance for Islam in the long term?
6. Should anti-EU parties be allowed to compete in EU elections?
7. Will recent ECB actions help resolve the standoff between Greece and Germany?
8. Is Germany destroying the EU?
9. Is real supply side reform a politically feasible solution to Europe’s economic woes?
10. Can a European Monetary Authority succeed without stronger fiscal discipline among member states?
Asia and the Middle East
1. Should India ally itself with other emerging economies in opposition to the Western order?
2. Will the Trans-Pacific Partnership benefit the small economies of Southeast Asia?
3. Is China a more valuable ally for Pakistan than the United States?
4. Can Afghanistan combat the Taliban without foreign support?
5. Will the dream of an ASEAN political union ever be realised?
6. Is the rise of an anti-corruption alternative to Modi’s BJP good for India?
7. Is Japan about to remilitarize?
8. Should Arab-Israelis seek election to the Knesset?
9. Is military intervention a legitimate way for Israel to respond to Hezbollah?
10. Does ISIS pose an existential threat to Jordan?